5 Easy Workouts for a Busy Mom
Updated: Aug 12, 2020
We all know that time is not on our side when you have to take care of a baby/toddler/kid, especially when they don't nap well or are begging for our attention. It's also almost impossible to get to a gym during the day even before Covid-19, and if you're like me, you don't have access to weights in your apartment. Finding the motivation is another factor. I've found having a "challenge" or competition with friends helps tons.
Here are some tips I've found to be helpful in atleast getting me excited about the actual workout and 5 "easy" workouts anyone can do with just a few minutes in their day.
1. Set a goal for the number of days you will work out and the duration. From there, plan a few workouts that you enjoy and can easily do when baby is home, so you have the option. If you plan something that requires someone else watching the baby (like a long run) it will be very hard to accomplish consistently. It's totally fine to do these types of workouts too, but make it a bonus instead of your daily routine.
2. Track your workouts with an Apple Watch or Fitbit so you can keep track of your progress. There are also many apps that you can use to keep track of your actual work out, so if you don't have a Fitbit or Apple watch there are other ways to keep track. And even if you aren't using an app, you can keep track of just the length of time the old school way with a clock.
3. Take pride in your workout by having appropriate gear. I've learned this the hard way. Don't go for an outdoor 5 mile run in cotton sweatpants and a sweatshirt....ever...unless you are trying to pass out and be drenched in sweat when you are done. Buy sneakers that fit properly and look nice with your outfit so you WANT to wear them. Buy a comfortable sports bra, buy workout pants that are breathable and stretchy...you get the point.
4. Have multiple workout apps to reference for help. So many of them are free or a small monthly fee. Weather its Nike Training, SWEAT, Daily Yoga, Workout for Women, Youtube - no matter my mood I can find workouts at my finger tips for any length of time.
5. Treat yourself after. Even just a nice cup of coffee or tea does the trick for me. For some people its just looking forward to a warm shower after or having the routine of getting ready.
Here are 5 easy workouts you can do depending on if you can sneak a workout in when baby is napping or while baby is awake: